2. ECONOMIC DEPENDENCE: Can she survive on one income?
3. FEAR: Of being alone, fear that she cannot cope with home and children by herself.
4. PARENTING: Wanting a father for the children.
5. RELIGION: Pressure to keep the family together.
6. FAMILY: Extended family pressure to keep the family together.
7. LOYALTY: If he had cancer, she’d stick by him.
8. RESCUE: If she stays, she can “save” him and help him “get better.”
9. FEAR OF HIS SUICIDE: He says he’ll kill himself if she leaves.
10. DENIAL: “It’s really not so bad.”
11. LOVE: She loves him, and he is quite often loving and lovable when he’s not being abusive.
12. IDENTITY: Many women feel that they need a man in order to be complete.
13. SHAME, EMBARRASSMENT AND HUMILIATION: She doesn’t want anyone to know.
14. LOW SELF-ESTEEM: After years of being criticized by her abuser, she believes that it must be her fault, she must deserve it, she’ll never find anyone better, “a little love is better than no love at all.”
15 SEX ROLE: “That’s just the way men are.”
What do you guys think? Do you agree with some of these reasons? Why do women tolerate abuse? For those who leave, where do they find the courage? But most important for me is; why do batterers assume they have the right to abuse?